
Swimming lessons just got started - two weeks of hard work! I don't know if it is harder for the kids or the parents. Today we went to the gym, swimming lessons, and ballet class and we fit everything in before noon! Luckily this week will be the only week with overlapping classes.
Now on to bragging about my GREAT kids! Imagine Jake last year screaming, while two parents and a teacher tried to pry his hands off the fence. Jake has really strong hands so somehow even with a 3:1 ratio, it takes several minutes! The teacher finally finds out that the only way to get Jake to stop screaming is when she tells him to hold his breath because she is going to go underwater with him....This was Jake two years ago.
I taught several years of swimming lessons, lifeguarded, coached swim team. I love teaching kids and seeing their progress in the water. I didn't think a second thought about even trying to teach Jake.
NOW imagine my reaction today when Jake swam about 5 yards kicking his legs, arm stroking, AND his face fully submerged!!! I had a few parents around me look at me a bit surprised when I gasped and said "Awesome!"
About 2 weeks ago Jake convinced me to let him buy a "snarflap" (aka snorkel). We went straight to the pool and Jake, for the first time without assistance from others, went underwater! Within 1 hour he was doing front floats unaided and even standing back up by himself. At the end of the day he would swim out in the deep water, turn around after a few kicks, and head right back to the wall. For a teacher, this is really a big step because everything just falls into place after this. The best part is watching him try to do a back float. The poor kid has no fat and somehow manages to float completely submerged by about 4 inches of water, holding his breath as long as he can. Next step, back float with a kick!
Afton is also in lessons and loves the social aspect of playing with the other kids while she isn't out swimming with the instructor.
1 comment:
That is so cool. I'm going to try to get Isabella into swim lessons this summer.
Post a Comment