Sunday, June 29, 2008

New Famous Haircuts

Sunday naps were "cut short," literally. Both kids were hiding behind chairs when I walked out. Then I saw the Afton's long flowing locks all around the living room floor, throughout the kitchen, and touch ups must have happened in the bathroom. Jake said Afton did it. Afton said Jake did it. I shed a few tears, we cleaned up, and went to a local hairstylist to get everything evened out.


Before*:
We were just growing out Jake's hair since it looked so cute as his hair got blonder from the sun. And I was just asking some friends if they thought I should let Afton's bangs grow out so they would be the same length as her long hair that reached to the middle of her back, with cute little waves.


"No more sissors will ever be in our house again" pics:







Famous Fix-up Pics:













I told Mike I thought Afton looked a little like Sinead O'Conner with her short haircut. Mike laughed and said "No, Jake looks like Sinead. Afton looks like Natalie Portman." Our kids are definitely going to get a few looks...I'll just tell them people must think they are famous.





9 comments:

The Fowers said...

Wow, Jake looks REALLY different with a buzz! I'm guessing Jackson will start asking to get HIS hair cut like that, too! Funny that I was the one with the scissors the other day that resulted in our emergency visit to Great Clips. Afton will be a trend-setter; we'll call it the Afton and everyone will want to copy! She looks surprisingly more like Jake with her hair cut. Those blue eyes are going to be even more striking with her new do...

shahna said...

Oh Shari! I can sooo relate. My girls did the exact same thing about three days before McKinley started kindergarten! I have a picture of her holding a huge mass of hair in her hand and crying! (Reagan was smarter about it and only caught off a tiny bit - she told me that she thought it didn't sound like a very good idea from the beginning). I am sure every mother that sees them will know exactly what happened. Most of us have gone through it first hand. The best thing to do is exactly what you did. Take pictures and laugh. this is going to be one of those things you look back on with fond memories at how cute they were and what crazy things they did.

Kamie said...

I about died when I saw the text you sent me with the pic. I glanced at it at first and thought...why did Shari cut Afton's hair.... then I took a closer look. Yikes....

My condolences for your loss.

Rulon and Lori said...

I'm sorry...I just went and hid all our scissors. : )

kjkabm said...

I had my phone on silent and saw the text you sent late lastnight.. sad! But your kiddos are still cuties!

Chrissy said...

Your poor babies. Good thing they are so cute that even bad hair cuts can't get them down. We're looking forward to seeing you!

Lisa said...

Oh, I would have shed some tears as well.....don't you just love the things our children will do?

Allison said...

I talked to Erica last night and she told me about this little experience...your blog did not disappoint with pictures. Oh my. I don't know what I would have done. But hey, enjoy a few months of no tangles and crying when hair is combed (at least that's what my girls do).

Anna@Exasperation said...

Well at least they're both so gorgeous that they can pull that off, right?! I'm so glad I only have boy hair to worry about for awhile...and we buzz theirs anyway!


Quick thoughts

So I'm finally up with the times and have my own blog. You'd think if someone was a "webmaster" that they might be current with a full family history...

Now I'm frantically searching my mind for all those clever things my kids did and all those life changing thoughts that would really help all who read my little blog. Nothing.

Just two quick stories about both kids. Maybe then I can feel at ease knowing that my children's lives are adequately documented.

Jake has always been interested in numbers. He loves to ask random people (fellow shoppers at Wal-Mart, those who happen to stop next to us at a red light, etc) what their address is. Finally Jake discovered his life calling when we went through the Wal-Greens drive thru to pick up a prescription. Jake decided he would like to be the teller asking people for their address to verify their getting the correct prescription. We are in the process of getting him a store job application right now.

Afton has profound moments when I realize just how fast she is growing up. This week she saw a little girl walking with just her mom. She pointed at the little girl and said "Ohhh, that little girl doesn't have a brother." Let's just hope she always appreciates that she has a big brother!