Sunday, September 6, 2020

Home Building XXV - driveway, rock, tiling, hardwood, garage doors

Garage concrete, driveway, rock siding, tiling, flooring, and garage doors,  oh my!

I missed last week since I was so busy.  

The rock work started last week (Aug 24) and really made the house look impressive.  They are very talented and finished in about 5 days.


The garage doors got installed and, despite my regret of ordering dark brown instead of bronze, they turned out perfectly!  Funny story, I had the hardest time figuring out why the garage door plugs weren't getting power.  I spent atleast a week on it until finally, dad and I found the missing romex wire barely sticking out of one of the garage ceiling boxes that we'd already installed.  I was so happy to have it all functioning finally.  Then a few hours later, I closed the garage door (enjoying the baby steps), flipped off the light switch, and URCH! the garage door stopped to a halt.  Sure enough, I had wired it incorrectly so the light switch had to be on in order for the garage door to be functioning.  Tricky, tricky!  It's all fixed and functioning now (I think).

I was supposed to tile but Mike managed to find someone to help us with the wood flooring and it makes everything seem a little more do-able.  Before they started, I laid the underlayment which felt a lot like gift wrapping the house.  That underlayment took an entire day!

I also spent most of the day waterproofing the kid's bathtub in preparation for tiling.  It was a messy job and fun at first...until you're a few hours in and then, not so fun.
Tiling progress


One wall done!  We had to get a bit creative with the bracing as they start getting a bit heavy above the decorative strip of travertine.


Concrete garage finally got poured!  We appreciate the shorter step to get into the house from the garage.  This little bat spent the night and liked it as well.


New Driveway!



No comments:


Quick thoughts

So I'm finally up with the times and have my own blog. You'd think if someone was a "webmaster" that they might be current with a full family history...

Now I'm frantically searching my mind for all those clever things my kids did and all those life changing thoughts that would really help all who read my little blog. Nothing.

Just two quick stories about both kids. Maybe then I can feel at ease knowing that my children's lives are adequately documented.

Jake has always been interested in numbers. He loves to ask random people (fellow shoppers at Wal-Mart, those who happen to stop next to us at a red light, etc) what their address is. Finally Jake discovered his life calling when we went through the Wal-Greens drive thru to pick up a prescription. Jake decided he would like to be the teller asking people for their address to verify their getting the correct prescription. We are in the process of getting him a store job application right now.

Afton has profound moments when I realize just how fast she is growing up. This week she saw a little girl walking with just her mom. She pointed at the little girl and said "Ohhh, that little girl doesn't have a brother." Let's just hope she always appreciates that she has a big brother!