Fireplace rock done, stair railing done, bathroom closet shelves done. I didn't realize it's been a month since my last update so I actually included a picture of the living room window trim as well! Next step is pantry and since Jacob is sick with Covid, we get to quarantine together and get it all done!
Not going to lie, the stair railing was tough. We tried to continue the electrical conduit idea down the stairs and between the weight of the conduit and the addition of gravity, it was pulling our posts down. We had to take it back out and finally ordered lighter hollow railings that looked exactly the same but cost a bit more...luckily it was just for 7 so only set up back around $130.
Bathroom closet shelving. As I've begun unpacking, I really needed to finish the shelving just for towel space alone. I'd like to eventually go back and add a cleat at the front to clean it up but maybe later.
Living room window trim complete! These were tough to get everything shimmed and lined up perfectly (and they may or may not actually be perfect but I can't tell). It looks so much nicer!
And the fireplace! I tackled this one myself. It wasn't a far step from tile but the weight made me completely exhausted each evening. I didn't love working with rock. And I dropped one or two and often they broke how they shouldn't have. I love how it turned out though. The wood trim above is going to take a bit longer. I think I want to try vinegar and wool to age it a bit more and give it a more grey patina to coordinate with the fireplace. Also, I'd done almost an entire side and then next 2 days I noticed the wood was shrinking by almost 1/16 - 1/18th of an inch! Turns out that I needed to take it down either way so I might as well find that perfect color while the wood climatizes!










No comments:
Post a Comment